Saturday, June 23, 2012

Not How I Thought It Would Go

Yesterday I had a water ultrasound. Here is how that works...prepare yourself...I'm going to mention lady parts :) I went to the fertility clinic at 2:00. They call me back and then say those words that I've heard way too often from a doctors office: "Go ahead and get undressed from the waist down." They plop me up on the examination table and go forward with what is lot like pap smear. Once I was ready they place a catheter in to my cervix. Next goes the ultrasound wand...that's right...the wand. I bet most all of you have only ever had an ultrasound on the outside of your body...well let me tell you...you are missing out if you don't get to know your ultrasound wand...intimately. Once every instrument in the whole office is up inside me (that might not be true, but it sure feels that way) we are good to go. The assistant pushes down on the plunger that's attached to the catheter and fills up my uterus with water...essentially inflating it. What you want to see is big black void with nice, smooth edges. That means you have a wonderful uterus that is ready for an embryo. Well...that isn't what happened when we took a peek at mine. I have polyps inside my uterus. This means that sometime this coming week, either Monday or Tuesday, I will need to have a Hysteroscopy. It is a minor procedure that requires me to be under sedation. Once I'm out they go up in there and cut them out. Luckily I'm only out of commission for a day. This could be another reason why I have been unable to get pregnant or maintain a pregnancy. Dr. Foulk said that polyps can often times act like an IUD. They prohibit embryos from implanting. Luckily, this doesn't delay our IVF process. Well, that's it. I have polyps.

No comments: