Sunday, March 29, 2009

Come On...Seriously

Today while in Sacrament meeting something happened. It happens about every other Sunday. No one says anything about it...in fact, I'm starting to realize that these events have happened so frequently that most are starting to accept them. There are justifications as to why it happens: "It's the trendy thing right now," "What if there is an emergency and someone needs to get a hold of me," "You can't actually see my thighs." What am I talking about you might ask...

MINI SKIRTS & CELL PHONES

I have learned over the past couple of months that it is totally okay to turn your back on modest dressing if you are wearing non see through tights. Women and girls of all ages come to church every week wearing itty bitty mini skirts...but it's okay...they have tights on. It is as if they feel they have found a loop hole in the gospel contract. I don't care if everyone else is doing it...I don't care if it's super trendy...can't we all at least try to dress as we should at church. There are 168 hours in the week...we can't put the mirror down long enough to obey gospel standards for 3 of those. It is quite sad.



My next beef is cell phones. I have major problems with cell phones on 2 levels. The first is at church. If you are super paranoid and think that you have to have a link to everyone you know every minute of the day...PUT IT ON VIBRATE!!! Devan and I go to church every Sunday and we leave our cell phones at home. This is what most people I know do. I know some that choose to take their phones with them to church, but they put them on vibrate. Today in sacrament meeting yet another obnoxiously rude, completely retarded, ridiculous human being had their phone go off. It interrupts the talks and spirituality of the meeting.
My other problem with cell phones is when they are in the possession of young kids. Ten year old children have no reason to own a cell phone. "But I always need to know where they are." Guess what, so did my mom. It was my responsibility to call her from my friends house to check in. How about we reinstate that little rule.

If I had to sum up my hatred towards mini skirts and cell phones I would say this. When we all pass from this life...we will not be able to take our trendy clothes and our little gadgets with us. They are mere conveniences and luxuries that we have here on earth. It is nice to treat ourselves with them now and then...but more and more we becoming dependent upon on them to help define who we are.

That's it.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Absolutly!

Price said...

I have to disagree ... especially in the singles wards. I need those mini-skirts to keep me going to church.

Megan said...

HILARIOUS!!! You need to start writing in a column of a newspaper or something telling people of all the stupid things they shouldn't do! Everyone needs to hear this stuff Ginny- it could be your way of helping humanity!!!!! Love it!!!

RussNatEvans said...

AMEN!!

Jena said...

Amen Sister!